Professional Development Services
The Professional Development team in the Niblock Student Center has a vision for every undergraduate business student to graduate with the skills and mindset needed to lead, to cultivate a meaningful career, and to navigate challenges not yet known. We facilitate employer connections and provide intentional experiential learning opportunities in order for students to develop in-demand professional skills that fit their diverse aspirations. We work with faculty, student organizations, and other campus groups to integrate career and professional development topics to business courses, meetings, or events and often partner with staff in the University Career Center and Belk College graduate programs.
Bring us to your class or student organization meeting! If you are a faculty member, instructor, student organization leader, or campus partner you can submit a request for a career presentation HERE.
Professional development is an ongoing process of formal and informal learning to integrate and apply soft skills and business knowledge. Soft skills can include interpersonal skills, leadership skills, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, resiliency, and other traits that increase professionalism.
The purpose of professional development is to allow students to engage in self-discovery, leverage professional opportunities, and capitalize on their potential. Through professional development, students are challenged to gain new perspectives on the world and build the confidence needed to be more effective and stand out in the workplace.
We do this by:
- Prioritizing student learning and facilitating students’ ownership of their educational experience
- Creating trustworthy and transparent partnerships with students and colleagues
- Providing integrated curriculum and programming at all stages of students’ professional journey
- Developing strong relationship with employers and the Charlotte community
- Experimenting with cutting-edge resources and tools