What is Business Analytics?
Business Analytics is identifying, mining, modeling, retrieving, sharing, analyzing, visualizing and interpreting an organization’s data in order to make strategic business decisions.
Why do businesses value Business Analytics?
A massive volume and great variety of both structured and unstructured data is continually and rapidly being generated by consumers, digital devices, the web and organizational transactions. Businesses that can harness the potential of this data can achieve and sustain substantial competitive advantages.
What can I expect to gain with a Business Analytics Certificate?
The Business Analytics Certificate provides students with a foundation in business analytics. The aim of the certificate is to satisfy the large and rapidly increasing demand in the marketplace for data-driven decision making in business. Students will learn how to understand, apply and exploit data analytics techniques in business decisions and strategy creation.
What types of jobs are available for someone with training in Business Analytics?
Professionals with skills in business analytics are in high demand. The International Data Corporation (IDC) predicts a need for 181,000 people with deep analytical skills by 2018, and a shortage five times that number for managers with the ability to use data analysis to make effective business decisions.
According to Forbes, the five leading industries with the most job openings requiring big data expertise include Professional, Scientific and Technical Services, Information Technologies, Manufacturing, Retail Trade and Sustainability, Waste Management WM & Remediation Services.
Demand for business analytics skills is driven by the exponential growth in the generation, collection and storage of data and the ability to bring it to bear in making business decisions. The Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics will give students a strong foundation in business analytics, a skill set that is increasingly in demand in today’s hyper-competitive and dynamic marketplace. Students will learn how to translate abstract data into information that can be used in strategic business decisions. This certificate will give students unique skills to fill the acute shortage in the business world for talent with proficiency in both business and analytics. In addition, students who apply and are accepted to the MBA program can use all four certificate courses to help satisfy their MBA concentration requirements.
This 12-credit certificate program consists of:
Core Requirements (6 credit hours):
- MBAD 6201 Business Intelligence and Analytics (3)
- MBAD 6276 Consumer Analytics (3)
Plus 2 of the following elective courses (6 credit hours):
- MBAD 6122 Decision Modeling and Analysis via Spreadsheets (3)
- MBAD 6207 Business Project Management (3)
- MBAD 6211 Advanced Business Analytics (3)
- MBAD 6212 Enterprise Systems (3)
- MBAD 6213 Applied Healthcare Business Analytics (3)
- MBAD 6277 Social Media Marketing and Analytics (3)
- MBAD 6283 Mobile Marketing and Analytics (3)
- MBAD 6278 Innovation Analytics (3)
- MBAD 7090 Big Data Analytics for Competitive Advantage (3)
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the following are required for the Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics:
- A bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university
- GPA of at least 2.75 (based on a 4.0 scale) on all previous work completed beyond high school (secondary school).
- An online application through the Graduate School’s application system
- A statement of purpose
- Unofficial transcripts of all college course work attempted
- Official and satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), if English is not the applicant’s native language and he or she has not earned a post-secondary degree from a U.S. institution